Vatican City, 20 March 2014 (VIS) – The Holy Father has:
- appointed Bishop Jose Trinidad Zapata Ortiz of San Andres Tuxtla, Mexico, as bishop of Papantla (area 12,000, population 2,138, Catholics 1,729,000, priests 89, permanent deacons 1, religious 128), Mexico.
- appointed Bishop Jose Valmor Cesar Teixeira, S.D.B. of Bom Jesus da Lapa, Brazil, as bishop of Sao Jose dos Campos (area 56,300, population 397,000, Catholics 316,000, priests 34, religious 56), Brazil.
On Wednesday, 19 March, the Holy Father:
- accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Alindao, Central African Republic, presented by Bishop Peter Marzinkowski, C.S.Sp., upon reaching the age limit. He is succeeded by Bishop Cyr-Nestor Yapaupa, co-adjutor of the same diocese.
- appointed Bishop Henrique Soares da Costa of Aracaju, Brazil, as bishop of Palmares (area 3,797, population 456,000, Catholics 301,000, priests 32, permanent deacons 4, religious 67), Brazil. He succeeds Bishop Genival Saraiva de Franca, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese upon reaching the age limit was accepted by the Holy Father.
- appointed Fr. Francis Serrao, S.J., provincial superior of the Society of Jesus in India, as bishop of Shimoga (area 21,405, population 8,040,000, Catholics 21,241, priests 72, religious 293), India. The bishop-elect was born in Moodbidri, India in 1959, entered the Society of Jesus in 1979, was ordained a priest in 1992 and gave his solemn vows in 1999. He has served in a number of pastoral roles, including priest in Mundgod, diocese of Karwar, director of the Regional Theologate, Bangalore, priest of the St. Joseph Church, Anekal, Mangalore, superior of the Bejapur Jesuit community, and rector of St. Aloysius College, Mangalore.