Applications must be submitted by Feb 1 to Carlo Catholic Society. Applications for polytechnic and university students start on May 15.
The bursaries aim to help needy Catholic students and form part of Carlo’s social and outreach service to Church and society.
A total of 22 bursaries were awarded in 2011 and recipients say they were a great help.
One polytechnic student said the $1,000 he received helped his family as his father does not earn much. Much of the money was spent on books and his daily school expenses.
One mother, Madam Lim, said the money helped cover her daughter’s transport costs.
The bursary fund has also received a boost from donors. One of them, Mr Benedict Teo, said making a donation was part of his Christian duty.
- Applicant must be a Catholic student, either Singaporean or foreign.
- Applicant must be a full-time student.
- The gross monthly household income per person (total gross monthly household income divided by total number of household members) does not exceed $450, or the gross monthly household income does not exceed $2,000.
- Applicant must possess good conduct, regular school attendance and satisfactory academic results.
- Applicant must not receive any other scholarship or bursary (excluding Edusave Scholarship and Merit Bursary).
Students would receive the following per academic year:
- Primary school: $350
- Secondary/ITE: $500
- JC/CI: $750
- Polytechnic: $1,000
- University: $2,000
By Darren Boon