VATICAN CITY, 20 NOV 2010 (VIS) - Following are the names of the twenty-four new cardinals created by Pope Benedict XVI in this morning's consistory, and the titular or diaconate churches he assigned to them:
- Cardinal Angelo Amato S.D.B., diaconate of St. Mary in Aquiro.
- His Beatitude Cardinal Antonios Naguib, patriarch of Alexandria of the Copts, Egypt.
- Cardinal Robert Sarah, diaconate of St. John Bosco in Via Tuscolana.
- Cardinal Francesco Monterisi, diaconate of St. Paul alla Regola.
- Cardinal Fortunato Baldelli, diaconate of St. Anselm on the Aventine.
- Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke, St. Agatha of the Goths.
- Cardinal Kurt Koch, diaconate of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.
- Cardinal Paolo Sardi, diaconate of Our Lady of Help in Via Tuscolana.
- Cardinal Mauro Piacenza, diaconate of St. Paul at the Three Fountains.
- Cardinal Velasio De Paolis C.S., diaconate of Jesus the Good Shepherd alla Montagnola.
- Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi, diaconate of St. George in Velabro.
- Cardinal Medardo Joseph Mazombwe, title of St. Emerentiana at Tor Fiorenza.
- Cardinal Raul Eduardo Vela Chiriboga, title of St. Mary in Via.
- Cardinal Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya, title of St. Mary "Regina Pacis" at Ostia Mare.
- Cardinal Paolo Romeo, title of St. Mary Hodegetria of the Sicilians
- Cardinal Donald William Wuerl, title of St. Peter in Chains.
- Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno Assis, title of Our Lady Immaculate al Tiburtino.
- Cardinal Kazimierz Nyc, title of Sts. Sylvester and Mariano ai Monti.
- Cardinal Albert Malcolm Ranjith Patabendige Don, title of St. Lawrence in Lucina.
- Cardinal Reinhard Marx, title of St. Corbinian.
- Cardinal Jose Manuel Estepa Llaurens, title of St. Gabriel the Archangel all'Acqua Traversa.
- Cardinal Elio Sgreccia, diaconate of St. Angelo in Pescheria.
- Cardinal Walter Brandmuller, diaconate of St. Julian of the Flemish.
- Cardinal Domenico Bartolucci, diaconate of the Most Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in Via Latia.
Listen Attentively to Various Voices within the Church
VATICAN CITY, 22 NOV 2010 (VIS) - In the Paul VI Hall this morning, the Holy Father received the twenty-four new cardinals created in the consistory of Saturday 20 November. With the prelates were members of their families and other faithful who have accompanied them to Rome.
The Pope greeted the cardinals in Italian, English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Polish, and expressed the hope that their followers may "support you with their prayers, that you many continue to persevere faithfully in your various tasks, for the good of the Gospel and of all Christian people".
"Your ministry", he told the cardinals, "is now enriched by the further duty of supporting Peter's Successor in his universal service to the Church. I place a lot of trust in you, in your prayer and in your vital assistance. With fraternal esteem I encourage you to continue your spiritual and apostolic mission which has just gone through a very important stage. Maintain your gaze fixed on Christ, drawing all grace and spiritual comfort from Him and following the shining example of cardinal saints, intrepid servants of the Church who, over the course of the centuries, have rendered glory to God with their heroic exercise of the virtues and their tenacious faithfulness to the Gospel".
Invoking on the cardinals "the maternal protection of the Virgin Mary Mother of the Church, and of the martyr St. Cecilia whose liturgical memory falls today", the Pope said "may she, the patroness of music and 'bel canto', accompany and support your efforts to listen attentively to various voices within the Church, in order to make the unity of hearts more profound".
AC/ VIS 20101122 (290)