POPE BENEDICT XVI chose the name Benedict after Saint Benedict of Norcia, Patron Saint of Italy, who founded the monastic Rule in the sixth century.
Encyclicals – Pope Benedict XVI has written three encyclicals
• Deus Caritas Est (25 Dec 2005) - http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html
• Spe Salvi (30 Nov 2007) - http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20071130_spe-salvi_en.html
• Caritas in Veritate (29 Jun 2009) - http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html
Linguist – Along with his native German, Pope Benedict XVI speaks fluent Italian, French, English, Spanish and Latin. He can read ancient Greek and biblical Hebrew
Papal Helicopter – Pope Benedict XVI has a pilot’s license for the papal helicopter and likes to fly from the Vatican to the papal summer residence, Castel Gandolfo, but the pope does not have a driver’s license as he never learned to drive a car.
Red shoes – Pope Benedict XVI’s famous red shoes are made from calf or kid leather for the winter and from nappa leather for the summer.
Pope Benedict XVI is...
* The 265th Pope
* The youngest of three children, and his brother is also a priest
* The 54th non-Italian Pope
* The eighth German Pope in history
* The oldest person to have been elected pope since Clement XII in 1730
* Plays the piano and has a preference for Mozart and Beethoven.
* The first Pope to own an iPod.
If you meet the Pope
* you can address him as “Your Holiness”...
* ...or “Holy Father”
Pope Benedict XVI was...
* Elected Pope at the age of 78
* Proclaimed cardinal on 27 Jun 1977 by Pope Paul VI
* Ordained a priest on 29 Jun 1951
* Born on 16 April, Holy Saturday, in 1927 at 8.30am in Bavaria, Germany. He was baptized the same day. n www.rcdow.org.uk/papalvisit/did_you_know/index.asp