Question: Could you tell me if, after committing a sin and before getting a chance of confession I can get back again into God's grace? (JL.D.)
Answer: This is a question that appeals to all catholics. Many are troubled in the same way and are ignorant of the means of reconciliation with God that can be used in such circumstances. Let me tell them:
1. That an act of perfect contrition will bring them in to God's grace and friendship at once. Perfect contrition is an act of love which God cannot resist.
2. There is an obligation, that, as soon as they can, they will submit mortal sin to the sacrament of penance.
3. In the meantime, the sin is forgiven, and they are in God's grace.
4. The main fact is this, that Catholic, if they fall should at once, make an act of contrition. It is not so very difficult. It consists in telling God from their heart that they are sorry for having offended a God who is infinitely good and merciful.
5. When that has been done, the sinner is a friend of God again and should he die before he is able to confess his sin, he is safe with God.
- Malaya Catholic Leader, February 23rd, 1935 (1935.pdf pp78)