SINGAPORE – The remains of Archbishops Michael Olcomendy and Gregory Yong were interred in the walls of the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd on Oct 10. A congregation of some 500 attended the ceremony and a Requiem Mass celebrated by Archbishop Nicholas Chia and 21 priests.

In his sermon, Archbishop Chia gave a brief biography of the first two Archbishops of Singapore, and exhorted the congregation to "follow their good example" of building up the church in Singapore and in the world.

Archbishop Olcomendy was ordained bishop and installed as Archbishop of Malacca in 1947, when he was in charge of the whole Malaysia peninsula.

In 1953, two dioceses – Kuala Lumpur and Penang – were created, and Archbishop Olcomendy became Archbishop of Malacca-Singapore. When the Johore and Malacca dioceses separated from Singapore in 1973, he became the first Archbishop of Singapore.

Archbishop Olcomendy retired in 1976, and passed away on Jul 4, 1977. His remains had previously been in the Church of St. Joseph (Bukit Timah) columbarium.

Archbishop Gregory Yong was consecrated Bishop of Penang in 1968, and installed as the second Archbishop of Singapore in 1977. His resignation was accepted on Oct 14, 2000. He passed away on Jun 28 this year. - By Daniel Tay

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to Twitter