Sr Agnes Kong passed away on Aug 4.

Born on July 3, 1936, Sr Agnes Kong grew up in a loving home. She was educated at the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, Victoria St. As a young girl she loved the Novena and became an active member of the Novena Church choir directed by Fr Gerald Joyce, CSsR.

After completing secondary school, she joined TB Nursing training at Mandalay Road Hospital, Singapore, in 1956 which was run by the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM) Sisters, the first English and Irish missionaries.

Here she felt the calling to Religious life and entered the FMDM Congregation in 1958. Her Novitiate was at Ladywell Convent in the UK.

After her first profession in 1961, she was sent for General Nursing and Midwifery Training at Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, Ireland.

She made her final profession in 1966. She then staffed the hospital for five years before returning to Singapore in 1972.

At Mount Alvernia Hospital, she worked in the maternity wards for many years apart from two more years serving at Mount Alvernia Hospital in the UK from 1977-1979.

She was a very quiet and reserved person who worked hard and consistently, a very thorough and organised ward Sister.

You could trust that she observed everything and didn’t miss a thing in the care of her patients, the mothers and babies. She loved her work and her staff.

Sr Agnes had that special artistic touch of making beautiful cribs for the wards at Christmas and also painting, and cutting silhouettes. She was also very good at flower arranging for the chapel.

She was a homely and steady person. When she retired from active midwifery, she lived in a small community in Yishun in 1998. She put herself at the service of children suffering from cancer at the Assisi Day Care Children’s Centre. She also joined the “Lions’ Befrienders” and visited the elderly housebound and poor for a short period.

Together with her close companion and godsister Susan Heng they volunteered and took charge of the bookshop at the Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea every Sunday.

Sr Agnes became a good friend to the parishioners during her time there until she had a severe stroke in 2003 which left her paralysed for 13 years. She suffered a lot as she was conscious but unable to help herself and was totally dependent on the nursing staff.

Yet she tried very hard to appreciate the visits of the Sisters, her relatives and friends with a big smile, and mouthed the prayers and songs we sang with her.

After her long years of suffering, Sr Agnes passed away peacefully on Aug 4. May she rest in peace and enjoy her eternity in God’s kingdom of everlasting light and joy. 

By Sr Florence Wong, FMDM