25 March 2014, Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord
His Holiness Pope Francis has appointed Rev. Msgr. Marek Zalewski, Counsellor of the Apostolic Nunciature in Malaysia, Apostolic Nuncio to Zimbabwe, Titular Archbishop of Africa.
Rev. Msgr. Zalewski was born on 2 February 1963 and ordained a priest for the Diocese of tomza (Poland) on 27 May 1989. He entered the diplomatic service of the Holy See in July 1995.
The Apostolic Nuncio to Malaysia, His Excellency Archbishop Joseph Marino, upon being informed of Monsignor's appointment issued this statement:
"I received with much joy the appointment of Monsignor Zalewski as Apostolic Nuncio to Zimbabwe. I am sure that he will bring to his mission there, as representative of Pope Francis, the same priestly and pastoral qualities of dedication and service that have characterized his ministry here. Monsignor will certainly be a central figure in the history of the Nunciature in Malaysia, having literally started this Papal Representation. In fact,when I arrived here in Kuala Lumpur almost a year ago,I found in him an outstanding, dependable and trustworthy colleague. He now leaves as a friend, also to many members of the Catholic community, and I assure him of my prayers and best wishes."
Monsignor Marek ZALEWSKI
- Marek Zalewski, son of Jan Zalewski (deceased) and Klara (Kruczynska) Zalewska, was born on 2nd February 1963 in August6w, Poland;
- After two years (Philosophy) at the Major Seminary in tomza, Poland (1983-1985), he spent four years of Theology at the Metropolitan Seminary in Florence (1985-1989), Italy, completing a Bachelor's Degree in Theology;
- On 27 May 1989 he was ordained to the Priesthood at St. Michael Archangel's Cathedral in tomza, Poland;
- Msgr. Zalewski was pastorally active for two years, as assistant priest, at St. Maria's Parish in the Archdiocese of Florence (1989-1991);
- In the fall of 1991, he went to Rome and started his studies for Doctorate in Canon Law, completed in 1995 at Pontificia Universita Gregoriana (Gregorian University); at the same time he pursued language courses and the internal program of the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy;
- Upon entering the diplomatic service of the Holy See in July 1995, he had the following postings:
- Central African Republic (1995-98)
- United Nations Organisation - New York (1998-2001)
- Great Britain (2001-2004)
- Germany (2004-2008)
- Thailand (2008-2011) Singapore (2011-2012) Malaysia (2012-2014).
- On 25 March 2014 His Holiness Pope Francis appointed Msgr. Zalewski, Titular Archbishop of Africa, Apostolic Nuncio to Zimbabwe.
- Besides his mother tongue, he speaks Italian, English and French.
Chancery of the Titular Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore
Download PDF file: ChanceryNoticeCN2014-006.pdf