Free food was provided to the congregation after the Oct 9-10 weekend Masses in celebration of Church of the Sacred Heart’s centennial anniversary.
Photo by Darren Boon


SINGAPORE – Church of the Sacred Heart celebrated its centennial anniversary on the weekend of Oct 9-10.

Construction of the church began in 1908 when the then bishop decided to build a new church dedicated to the Sacred Heart on the site of an abandoned soya sauce factory in Tank Road to cater to the growing number of Hakka and Cantonese Catholics who were attending the over-crowded Church of Sts. Peter and Paul. The church was completed in 1910.

Recent developments include the air-conditioning of the church. A columbarium and a seven-and-a-half storey community building with a chapel has been blessed and opened for use at the beginning of this year.

The church sees an average attendance of about 1,600 during the weekend Masses. The parish motto is “Glory to God and Service to Mankind” and as such started an initiative of giving meals to the poor every Sunday at lunchtime.On the first Sunday of each month, named “Agape Day”, parishioners too join in for fellowship with music provided by a live a band.

According to the church’s commemorative anniversary booklet, the church has plans to provide free medical services to the poor. The front shop space facing Tank Road will be used as a cafeteria which is expected to open by year’s end. Plans to set up a studio for performing arts and media are in place which will accompany the church’s efforts to develop a youth and young adult ministry within the parish.

By Darren Boon

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to Twitter