From Church of the Holy Family to Church of Divine Mercy
FEATURED HERE IS the Church of the Holy Family in 1937 – as a chapel.
This chapel was built in 1923 by then parish priest at the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, Father Pierre Ruaudel, on land donated by Mr James Leonard Scheerder. It was dedicated to the Holy Family by request of Mr Scheerder.
Before the chapel was built, Eurasian families who moved into the Katong area had to celebrate Mass in one of the houses. With the chapel, they then had a proper church for Mass.
Over the next 10 years, more parishioners from the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd relocated to the east coast where housing was cheaper – it became apparent that the chapel built in 1923 could not accommodate all of them.
In 1931, the chapel of the Holy Family was demolished to make way for the Church of the Holy Family. The new church was opened and blessed on Jun 19, 1932.
The Church of the Holy Family continued to expand and was upgraded through the years, until December 1997 when it was pulled down and replaced by the four-storey, air-conditioned church that continues to stand at 6 Chapel Road today.
This pioneer parish in the east district was also responsible for the birth of many other parishes within the district.
Due to the increasing number of parishioners at Church of the Holy Family, the Church of Our Lady Queen of Peace was erected to accommodate them in 1954; the building of Churches of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour (1961), St. Stephen (1966), and Holy Trinity (1988), followed over the years, to meet the needs of the growing number of Catholics in the area.
From the Church of the Holy Trinity then sprung forth Church of Divine Mercy, which was opened and blessed on Jan 9, 2010.