About a hundred years ago ... Feb. 26, 1860 '" the first group of six missionary sisters of the Canossian Daughters of Charity left Venice, Italy, by boat on a long and perilous voyage to the Far East. They arrived in Hong Kong on April 12, 1860. Settled temporarily in quarters at Caine Rd., they soon opened a school for 40 girls.
That was the humble beginning of a great work - the tiny mustard seed that soon spread its wide branch’s over Hong Kong and China. Singapore welcomed its first Canossians in 1894. The Hong Kong Canossian Daughters of Charity celebrated the centenary of their coming to the Missions early this year. In Singapore the Canossians are marking this centenary by having a Triduum of Masses said in the evening at St. Joseph's Church (PM) from Nov. 22 to 24. A special morning Mass will be celebrated on Nov. 25 at 30. During the day the public are welcome to visit their exhibition held in St. Anthony's Convent. Later in the evening a concert will be staged at 6.30.
The Canossian Daughters of Charity have two flourishing schools in Singapore. .. St. Anthony's Convent, and Canossa Convent. The last named includes an orphanage and a school for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind. In the State of Johore they have schools in Segamat and Kluang. Their school in Malacca, the Sacred Heart Convent, has been long established and in recent years has been renovated and extended. The Canossian Sisters are also in charge of a school in the Malacca Portugese Settlement.
Besides devoting their time to educational activities, the Canossians play a great part in social work especially in the rural areas of Segamat and Kluang. They run centres in their convents for the distribution of food - rice, flour, etc. made possible through the Catholic Relief Services.
The Malayan CatholicNews, Sunday, November 27, 1960. Page 4.