Students of Canossa and Canossian Sisters performing a song item during the event held on Aug 23.
There were smiles all around as the five sectors under the Canossian Eduplex had a joint celebration of their anniversaries on Aug 23.
Canossa Convent, Canossa Convent Primary School (CCPS) and Canossaville Children’s Home celebrated their 75th anniversaries. Canossian School, which provides education for children who are hearing impaired, celebrated its 60th anniversary while Magdalene’s Kindergarten celebrated its 42nd anniversary.
The event also marked the re-opening of CCPS after the school went through upgrading works from January 2013 to December 2014 under the Programme for Rebuilding and Improving Existing Schools (PRIME) initiative.
Ms Low Yen Ling, Parliamentary Secretary for Education and Trade and Industry, was the guest-of-honour for the event.
Among those present for the celebration were school staff, alumnus, Canossian Sisters and students.
Archbishop William Goh started the celebrations with Mass in the chapel of Canossa Convent.
In his homily, he praised the Canossian Sisters for serving with “humility and compassion”.
He also highlighted the importance of the Sisters’ presence in the Canossian Eduplex.
“Serving with love and a smile will create positive experiences for the children to take away even after they graduate,” he said.
|Archbishop William Goh started the celebrations with Mass in the chapel of Canossa Convent.||Canossian Sr Theresa Seow thanked her fellow Sisters for their service to students.|
After Mass, Archbishop Goh and Ms Low launched the Canossa Heritage Gallery and were brought on a tour of it.
The items in the gallery show the history of the five sectors under the Canossian Eduplex.
These include three separate screens showing the milestones of the five sectors, an image gallery of St Magdalene of Canossa, foundress of the Canossian Daughters of Charity, and old CCPS report books and badges.
Ms Low was then brought on a “school trail”. CCPS students took turns presenting the heritage, Mathematics and Science features of the trail within the school compound.
Before continuing celebrations in the hall of CCPS, a minute of silence was observed as a mark of respect for the
late former President S. R. Nathan.
Canossian Sr Theresa Seow, Provincial Leader of the Canossian Daughters of Charity, in her welcome address, shared the history of how the Canossian Sisters set up the various institutions in the Canossian Eduplex today.
She also thanked “all the Sisters who have faithfully been helping with nurturing the girls and boys in values education lessons.”
Ms Low, a CCPS alumna herself, shared how her experiences as a former student helped shape her character.
She said that she was born into a poor family and often stayed with her grandmother when she was young as her parents had to work the whole week.
When she was enrolled in CCPS, she recalled how the “borderless learning environment, one based on love”, taught her the importance of serving others with care and love.
She encouraged students present to serve their alma mater when they were older.
“I hope to see you return and serve with the same love and compassion your teachers and Sisters have shown you.”
Ms Low then proceeded to launch the Eduplex logo after her speech. A new CCPS plaque was also unveiled to commemorate the re-opening of the school.
Students of Canossa then performed song and dance items during lunch. The Canossian Sisters also performed a few songs with some of the students.
To end off the celebrations, children from the various sectors performed a original song titled Built on Love.
|Ms Low Yen Ling, Parliamentary Secretary for Education and Trade and Industry, interacting with a Canossa Convent Primary School student during the walk along the school trail.|
By Jared Ng
The five sectors under the Canossian Eduplex are:
• Canossa Convent, founded in 1941 is the home of the Canossian Sisters in Singapore. The community makes Jesus known through their dedication and pastoral presence.
• Canossa Convent Primary School (CCPS), a Catholic mission school, officially opened on Aug 15, 1941.
• Canossaville Children’s Home was also founded in 1941. The home provides residential care for girls aged between six and 12. It also provides before and after school care for primary school children, including those with hearing impairment, dyslexia and families needing financial assistance.
• Canossian School, founded in 1956, provides education for children who are hearing impaired. The school uses the Natural Auditory Oral Approach (NAO) in the education of children with hearing impairment. This approach emphasises on maximizing the residual hearing of the children through a comprehensive listening programme and the development of spoken language.
• Magdalene’s Kindergarten, founded in 1974, is a place where children are valued and loved through an integrated programme emphasising the formation of the heart.
Information taken from official Canossian Eduplex websites and Canossa Heritage Gallery.